The Global Health program is committed to promoting people's well-being and education at the local, state, national and global levels. Specifically, this internship experience is structured to suit the needs and interests of the intern. During the course of the internship, the student will become more familiar with the key issues and actors in international health and development. While there are no travel opportunities, the internship offers extensive networking opportunities. The intern will work with the global health manager in the Global Health Unit within APHA’s Center for Professional Development, Public Health Systems and Partnerships.
In general, the intern’s duties are:
- Contributes global health news and articles for APHA’s global health webpage, Inside Public Health newsletter, the Public Health Newswire blog and The Nation’s Health.
- Updates and maintains the Global Health page within the CPDPHSP website.
- Helps develop APHA's global health partnerships.
- Tracks and updates APHA's global health sessions/events for the Annual Meeting.
- Assists with research for the development of APHA’s professional and student delegation programs.
- Plans brown bag seminars on global health issues.
- Organizes visits from international health professionals.
- Attends key global health conferences and seminars in Washington, D.C., where it may be strategic to have APHA/WFPHA representation.
- Communicates routinely with APHA members and external partners in the global health community.
- Provides assistance to the other units within the Center as needed (including participating in Get Ready campaign public events).
Applicants should be public health students -- undergraduate or graduate preferred -- and have at least one year of work experience with an interest in global health issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to write, edit and proofread written materials.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer technology (e.g. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, email, Internet, etc.).
- Well-organized and able to complete tasks with minimum supervision and work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects simulataneously; demonstrates a postive, results-oriented approach to work; self-motivated.