COVID-19 is the illness caused by a novel, or new, coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China, in late 2019. The virus is SARS-Co-V-2, and the disease the virus causes, coronavirus disease 2019, is abbreviated as COVID-19.
The COVID-19 outbreak is a public health emergency and on March 11, 2020 was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. Misinformation, rumors and the rapidly changing nature of the outbreak are big problems, so APHA and the entire public health community are working overtime to ensure you have the facts.
What Can You Do?
What is APHA Doing?
We are urging the public health community to share science-based information with the public and are speaking out for outbreak response funding and support.
- APHA criticizes Supreme Court ruling's "disturbing impact" in fight against COVID
- APHA letter to the U.S. Senate opposing S. J. Res. 29, a resolution to disapprove OSHA's emergency temporary standard to protect workers from the risk of COVID-19 transmission in the workplace
- Public health amicus brief submitted to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in support of OSHA's emergency temporary standard to protect workers
- APHA strongly supports COVID-19 worker protections
- Public health organization and public health scholars brief to the U.S. Supreme Court opposing religious exemptions from vaccine mandates
- APHA applauds president's COVID-19 action plan
- Joint statement supporting COVID-19 vaccine mandates for all oral health workers (PDF)
- 3 ways to help people make the right choice on COVID-19 vaccination (Public Health Newswire)
- Open letter to private sector leaders on joining #COVIDSafeZones (COVID Collaborative)
- CDC recommends return to masking indoors against COVID-19
- Joint statement in support of COVID-19 vaccine mandates for all workers in health and long-term care
- COVID-19 Vaccination: An Equitable Response (PDF)
- Misinformation harming U.S. health, surgeon general says
- Testimony of APHA Executive Director Georges C. Benjamin, MD, before the House Select Committee on the Coronavirus Crisis for the hearing “Building Trust and Battling Barriers: The Urgent Need To Overcome Vaccine Hesitancy”
- APHA's Georges Benjamin: "We know the vaccine for COVID-19 is very safe, and it really works."
- APHA rallies behind COVID-19 "National Vaccine Month of Action" (APHA news release)
- AJPH June issue: VACCINES — Containing COVID-19 and Building Long-Term Confidence
- Resources help communicate, educate about COVID-19 vaccinations (Public Health Newswire)
- AJPH May issue: PANDEMICS: PREPARE, PREDICT AND CONTAIN
- Pop-up clinics bringing vaccines to people who need them most: Meeting people where they are on COVID-19 (The Nation's Health)
- Women bearing hardships during pandemic (The Nation's Health)
- Letter to President Biden and Congressional leadership urging COVID-19 recovery legislation include key provisions (PDF)
- Public Health COVID-19 Impact Assessment: Lessons Learned and Compelling Needs
- COVID-19's impact on housing instability and health of the unsheltered (APHA infographics)
- AJPH study shows Anti-Asian hashtags soared after Trump first called COVID-19 the "#chinesevirus" on Twitter
- More than 30,000 deaths linked to pandemic-related unemployment (AJPH study)
- Letter urging COVID-19 public health response that prioritizes communities of color and tribal communities (PDF)
- Language that works to improve vaccine acceptance (PDF)
- Assessing Legal Responses to COVID-19 (APHA-sponsored report)
- COVID-19 Conversations: An APHA/National Academy of Medicine webinar series
- COVID-19 in Corrections Data Transparency Act (APHA-endorsed legislation)
- Essential information for US state and counties to publicly report (joint COVID-19 indicators report)
- "Everybody should recognize that their second job is public health" (TED Talk with APHA Executive Director Georges Benjamin)
- Ensuring health equity during the COVID-19 pandemic: the role of public health infrastructure (Georges Benjamin in Pan American Journal of Public Health)
- Coronavirus: How to protect yourself from COVID-19 (tips and resources to share with your friends, family and community)
- Public Health Newswire post series
- COVID-19 and Equity
- American Journal of Public Health COVID-19 resource page
- Statement on physical distancing guidelines (PDF)
- Legislative Response to COVID-19 (PDF, APHA summary)
- Countering the "infodemic" of misinformation (highlights of APHA media coverage)