The American Public Health Association,
In accordance with previously adopted policy statements calling for an end to the nuclear arms race and a halt to the militarization of space;1-4 and
Mindful of how the United States conducted 26 nuclear weapons tests during the recent USSR-initiated 18-month moratorium on such testing, missing a prime opportunity for slowing the arms race;5 and
Recognizing the connection between such testing and the further development of space-weapons programs of the Reagan Administration's proposed Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI); and
Observing the recent attempts by the Reagan Administration to pave the way for early deployment of SDI by promoting a broad interpretation of the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty in place of the strict interpretation that is supported by most of the original negotiators of that accord; and
Noting the plans of the Reagan Administration to change the SDI from a research program by moving into field testing as a prelude to deployment;11,12 therefore
- Calls for the United States and all nations engaged in nuclear testing to immediately end all such testing;
- Opposes any attempt by the United States to institute a broad interpretation of the 1972 ABM Treaty, and further calls for US-USSR negotiation that revises or replaces the 1972 ABM Treaty with language that ends the militarization of space and makes unnecessary and unacceptable further research and development of SDI technology; and
- Calls for Congress to cut off all funding for research field testing and/or deployment of the SDI.
- American Public Health Association: Resolution No. 7913: World Peace and the Military Budget. APHA Public Policy Statements, 1948 to present, cumulative. Washington, DC: APHA, current volume.
- American Public Health Association: Resolution No. 8117: Nuclear War and Nuclear Weapons. Op Cit.
- American Public Health Association: Resolution No. 8214: Reaction to the Attack on the Nuclear Freeze Movement. Op Cit.
- American Public Health Association: Position Paper No 8531(PP): The Health Effects of Militarism. Op Cit.
- Broad W: Who's Ahead Now in Nuclear Arms New York Times, March 1, 1987.
- Seaborg GT, Loeb BS: Make the Partial Test Ban Comprehensive. Bull Atomic Sci 1987;43(4):3.
- Science and Technology of Directed Energy Weapons. Report to the American Physical Society Study Group, April 1987.
- Levin C: Administrtion Wrong on ABM Treaty. Bull Atomic Sci 1987;43(3):30-32.
- The ABM Treaty and the Soviets. Bull Atomic Sci 1987;43(3):2.
- Gordon MR: Arms Debate Now Centers on ABM Pact. New York Times, February 17, 1987.
- Cushman JH Jr: Pentagon Secretly Prepares Plan for Missile Defense in Mid-1990s. New York Times, April 8, 1987.
- Gordon MR: Reagan and Aides Meet on Plan for Early `Star Wars' Deployment. New York Times, February 4, 1987.
Back to Top