The Epidemiology Section fosters epidemiologic research and science-based public health practice. It serves as a conduit between the epidemiologic research community and users of scientific information for the development, implementation and evaluation of policies affecting the public's health.
Chair: Tiffany Gary-Webb, PhD, MHS
Chair-Elect: Shawnita Sealy-Jefferson, PhD, MPH
Immediate Past-Chair: Laurie Elam-Evans, PhD, MPH
Membership Chair: Erica Smith, MPH
Award Chairs: Tiffany Gary-Webb, PhD, MHS & Shawnita Sealy-Jefferson, PhD, MPH
Booth Coordinator: Kristen Cowan, MPH
Communications Chairs: Charlotte Huntley, PhD, MPH
Mentoring Chairs: Marian Passannante, PhD & Christine Arcari, PhD, MPH
Nomination Chair: Laurie Elam-Evans, PhD, MPH
Policy Chairs: Kathryn Marwitz, PharmD, MPH
Policy Coordinator: Sonja Hutchins, MD, MPH, DrPH, FACPM
Program Committee Chair: Kesha Baptiste-Roberts, MPH, PhD & Siobhan Maty, PhD, MPH
Secretary: Ketrell McWhorter, PhD, MBA
Social Media Coordinator: Charlotte Huntley, MPH, PhD
Student Liason: Raihan Khan, MPH, CPH, MBBS
Web Editor: Charlotte Huntley, PhD, MPH
Connect Moderator: Ketrell McWhorter, PhD, MBA
If you are interested in becoming involved in any of the above committees, please consider signing up here!
- Angel B Algarin, MPH
- Maleeka Glover, ScD MPH
- Noel Barengo, MD, MPH, PhD
- Otto Ike, MPH, DHSc, PhDc
- Padma Sreenivasan, MSc, MA, DRPH
- Rebecca Ortego
- Victor A Ilegbodu, MD, PhD, MPH
- Russel McIntire, PhD, MPH
- Dipesh Patel
- Timothy Sankary, MD, MPH
- Toby Levin, PhD, MPH, CHES
- Kari-Ann Hunter, MBA
- Ramzi W. Nahhas, PhD
- Thomas Nuno, BS MA PhD
- Kesha A. Baptiste-Roberts, MPH, PhD
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
- Network with other epidemiologists.
- Have an impact on national health policy supported by APHA.
- Participate in Epidemiology Section leadership.
- Influence the Epidemiology Section program at the APHA Annual Meeting.
Short on time? Consider other ways to be more involved in our Section:
- Respond to an advocacy alert.
- Post field-related information or opportunities on your online community/listserv.
- Encourage a colleague to join APHA.
- Review abstracts.
- Join a committee (advocacy, communication, membership, etc.).
- Participate in our monthly business meetings.
Contact Erica Smith to learn more.
For leadership contact information, log into APHA Connect using your member credentials.
Epidemiology Section Awards:
The Epidemiology Section Awards are an opportunity to recognize Epidemiologists for major accomplishments and contributions to epidemiology and public health. Annually, the Epidemiology section presents four awards:
1. The Abraham Lilienfeld Award recognizes excellence in the teaching of epidemiology during the course of a career.
2. The Public Health Practice Award recognizes the use of epidemiologic methods in an innovative and creative public health program or project.
3. The John Snow Award recognizes an outstanding epidemiologist for excellence in epidemiologic practice or research.
4. The Wade Hampton Frost Lectureship Award recognizes a person who has made a significant contribution to addressing a public health issue of major importance by applying epidemiologic methods.
To nominate someone for one of the above awards, please email Tiffany Gary-Webb with the nominee's name and CV.
Public Health Epidemiology Careers Podcast
Hosted by Dr. Charlotte H Huntley, this podcast explores the careers and experiences of epidemiologists in all stages of their careers. Subscribe, listen and enjoy weekly here!