The American Public Health Association established the Alliance for Disease Prevention and Response in 2020. The Alliance is a collaborative of public health and health care organizations, business groups, the faith community, non-profits, philanthropies, and other key stakeholder groups.
- Vision: A resilient, equitable, and healthy nation supported by a robust public health system that is empowered to protect against societal health threats and respond to the unique health needs of every community.
- Mission: Build and empower a diverse, collaborative, multi-sector, sustainable public health movement with clearly defined roles, authority, and resources to ensure health, equity, and well-being for all.
The intern(s) will help with all aspects of the Alliance focusing on general Alliance activities including the communications and programmatic components. APHA internships are unpaid and located in Washington, D.C, hybrid or remote options may be available.
Interns should have the ability and interest in:
- Assisting with developing Alliance materials.
- Learning about and researching emerging public health topics.
- Capturing lessons from meetings.
- Coordinating meetings.
- Developing newsletters or other communications materials.
- Maintenance of the resource library navigator PHERN and map:
- Conducting research to identify items to include in our library of public health, equity and preparedness or COVID-19 resources
- Helping to determine how best to display information and resources
- Providing information about areas of interest to Alliance members, stakeholders and the broader field
- All APHA interns also work on the Association’s Get Ready campaign, writing blog posts and working on group projects each semester.
The Alliance offers one or two internship per semester to qualified students. We are looking for creative, enthusiastic, and out-of-the-box thinkers. Must be comfortable working as part of a team. Experience with deadlines and translation of evidence-based information into lay language is a plus, as is experience with social media and websites. Opportunities for internships are available year-round and last for a three- to four-month period. To assure that the intern maximizes her or his experience, we ask that the intern work at least 21 hours per week. All APHA internships are unpaid. Start and end times are negotiable. Hybrid and remote options are available.