APHA is building and leading a national movement to protect against future pandemics and disease outbreaks.
The Alliance is a collaborative movement to advance public health, prevent disease and promote well-being.
- A resilient, equitable, and healthy nation supported by a robust public health system that is empowered to protect against societal health threats and respond to the unique health needs of every community.
- Build and empower a diverse, collaborative, multi-sector, sustainable public health movement with clearly defined roles, authority, and resources to ensure health, equity, and well-being for all.
The Alliance centers its efforts on the following goals in support of our mission:
- Equity – Ensure the effective and just distribution of resources and assets to support a sustainable public health system that empowers all communities to determine their own health outcomes
- Preparedness and resilience – Develop and sustain the systems capacity needed to understand, anticipate, prevent, respond to major ongoing and emerging health threats
- Community and multi-sectoral partnership – Convene, support, and collaborate with community-based organizations and multi-sector networks at the federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial level. (Sectors include public health, healthcare, grassroots, faith-based communities, civil society, business, philanthropy, education and government)
The alliance will bring together public health organizations, business groups, non-profits, philanthropies and individuals to:
- Inform and align efforts, share lessons and innovations and amplify clear and effective public communication
- Use trusted messengers, including business and community leaders, to empower the public with guidance, promote prevention-supporting norms and help recruit contact tracers
- Engage private sector partners and funders in COVID-19 prevention efforts, including strengthening public health infrastructure
- Advocate collectively for supportive public policies and to strengthen the public health infrastructure and future ability to respond to public health threats
- Empower the public and the private sector to participate in COVID-19 and public health efforts, acting with purpose and confidence, resulting in improved public norms
- Create strategic cohesion and civic engagement by partners and communities around public health, prevention and equity
- Increase public health system investment from the national to local levels
- Recruit champions to advocate for public health