The American Public Health Association,
Understanding that nuclear testing and the dumping of toxic and nuclear waste materials are being carried out by major industrial nations (the United States, France, and Japan) in the waters of the Pacific Ocean; and
Recognizing that these actions have the potential for exposing the inhabitants of the Pacific Islands to nuclear radiation which will have adverse effects on their health and well-being; and
Recognizing that the dumping of nuclear wastes in the Pacific Ocean has the potential for contaminating the fish, which are one of the major sources of food for those living in the area, and destroying a means of livelihood for many; and
Recognizing that the continued practice of deploying, testing, and dumping of nuclear materials in the Pacific Ocean will further damage the delicate environment and produce negative short-term and long-term effects on the health and way of life of the inhabitants; and
Noting that this Association has previously recommended action with respect to the disposal of solid wastes;1 and has also previously expressed concern and opposition with respect to the deployment of nuclear weapons;2 and
Noting that the governments of the State of Hawaii,3 Guam, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of Palau, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, and of health personnel4 have formally opposed nuclear testing in the Pacific and the dumping of nuclear waste products into the Pacific Ocean; therefore
- Advocates abolition of these practices which are jeopardizing human life and endangering the aquatic life and the environment.
- APHA Policy Statement 6516: Solid Waste Disposal. APHA Public Policy Statements 1948 to present, cumulative. Washington, DC: APHA, current volume.
- APHA Policy Statement 8117: Nuclear War and Nuclear Weapons. APHA Public Policy Statements 1948 to present, cumulative. Washington, DC: APHA, current volume.
- Resolutions Nos. 69 and 70 of the Twelfth Legislature of the House of Representatives, State of Hawaii, 1983.
- Resolution No. 5, "Relating to Nuclear Testing and Nuclear Waste Dumping in the Pacific Ocean," passed at the Fourth Annual American Pacific Nurse Leaders' Conference, Guam, July 1982.
Back to Top